The RCABC Canoe Tripping Leader course is intended to build the skills and confidence to become the leader of a group doing a multi-day wilderness canoe trip. This tripping leader course can be taught on a lake or river (see prerequisites).
WHO IS IT FOR?
The course specifically targets:
· School teachers
· Outdoor program leaders
· Canoe club trip leaders
· Youth camp or youth organization staff
· Recreational canoe trippers who want to take their skills to the next level
· Lakewater Instructors wishing to become RCABC Canoe Tripping Instructors
· RCABC Lakewater Level 1 (tandem) or Level 2 (solo) or equivalent
· First Aid Certificate (16-hour program)
· RCABC Movingwater Level 1 or2 (tandem or solo) - if leading on moving water.
· RCABC Basic Ocean Canoeing - if leading on ocean
· Trip Log: experience must include at least three 2-day trips (can be done after the course)
DURATION – Minimum of 3 days with 2 overnights
- Properly loading canoes and waterproofing gear
- Rescues of loaded canoes
- Menu and food preparation, cooking and food safety
· Navigation and group travel and safety
· Environment and Leave No Trace
· Camping sites, tents, stoves and tarps
You are expected to have your own canoe and camping equipment.
Please register online now to secure your spot. You can delay paying until one week before the course start date; a payment reminder email will be sent at that time.
Course-specific details will be sent in advance by the instructor, Alan Thomson. Please email Alan for questions and further information: firstname.lastname@example.org