Join us for our first Kayak and Big Canoe overnight camping adventure of the season!
For this trip we have secured 3 nights at the Sidney Spit Camp Ground on Sidney Island, Gulf Islands National Park. While all paddlers are not expected to stay over Sunday night - this extra night has been secured to offer paddlers flexibility and the opportunity to enjoy 3 nights on beautiful Sidney Spit. While all members are expected to paddle together from Sidney to Sidney Spit on Friday evening, return trips on Sunday and/or Monday will be arranged based on needs of group members (and leaders), as ferry return (on Sunday) may be option for some Big Canoe Paddlers.
On Saturday, Big Canoe and Kayak groups will likely explore surrounding Islands including Darcy, Forrest, Domville, Ruby, Comet, Gooch and Rum. Again, itinerary will be determined based on wind, weather and group ability.
Trip fees for each participant is $15.75 and covers the cost of camping.
Those wishing to attend via kayak can register for this event, but must follow up with Wade Martinson, Kayak Program Director via email email@example.com to (a) secure their spot on the trip and (b) book their kayak.
Big Canoe questions can be directed to Elizabeth Martinson at:firstname.lastname@example.org
1. All paddlers are welcome to join in our Big Canoes.
2. Kayak paddlers are required to have at minimum Paddle Canada Basic Kayak certification.
3. In order to minimize impact to other campers and campsite, paddlers will be encouraged to share tents (min 2 people to a tent). Paddlers are expected to be self sufficient and provide their own tent, cooking gear, fuel and food. Participants are encouraged to share stoves.
4. Please bring proper clothing - e.g., rubber boots or neoprene foot ware, merino wool or synthetic quick drying underlayers, rain gear, waterproof gloves (e.g., rubber dish gloves) a tuque (in case of extreme weather change) (bathing suit for camp), camp clothes and of course all gear should be packed into dry bags with dry clothing readily accessible. Don't forget your toiletries (band-aids/medication) and toilette paper.. one can never have enough toilette paper!
5. Participants are expected to ride share, as parking may be limited depending on location.
6. Those not driving should park vehicles on side streets near the Clubhouse rather than the parking lot.
7. Big canoe paddlers will be expected to make a small donation to the driver of our Big Canoe trailer as gas prices are high! Recommended min $5. If you ride share, please share costs with your driver.
8. Most importantly - remember the time change and meet at at VCKC and be ready to drive away 5 pm.
Registrants will be expected to attend a 1-2 hour pre-trip meeting prior to the trip. Invite for this will be sent closer to the date.
Looking forward to seeing all of you on the water!