All members (all ages) a welcome to join us as we tour around the Sidney area and noodle on up the shore towards Piers Island. If we are lucky and the weather is good, we will stop by Ken Gibbard's cabin and enjoy and outdoor lunch break on the beach near his home.
The exact route of this short day trip will be based on weather and the skill level of the group. That said, we will try to make it a short/easy day of paddling geared towards our newer members. That said, participants can still expect to be on the water for approximately 4 hours of low to moderate intensity paddling.
Those interested in sterning Big Canoe for this trip are encouraged to contact Elizabeth Martinson directly at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm their availability :)
A few key notes:
1. Please bring proper clothing - e.g., rubber boots or neoprene foot ware, merino wool or synthetic quick drying underlayers, rain gear, waterproof gloves (e.g., rubber dish gloves) and a tuque.
2. Bring complete change of clothes in a drybag, just in case, No capsizes are expected (they never are), but we always prepare for the worst-case scenario. Safety first!
3. Bring sufficient water/snacks for the day and a packed lunch (in a dry bag).
4. Ride sharing is encouraged - passengers should give drivers gas money.
5. Those not driving should park vehicles on side streets near the Clubhouse rather than the parking lot.
6. The $5 fee for this trip will cover the cost of gas, parking and launch fees for the driver towing the trailer.
7. All members attending trip will be expected to help load boats on and off of the trailer - many hands make light work!
Most importantly - remember the time change and meet at at VCKC and be ready to drive away at 8:30 am.
8. Stay tuned for updates 2-3 days before the trip. Location may be changed in the event that high winds are forecasted for the Sidney area.